1 quart yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup Old Bay Seasoning
1 tablespoon cayenne
1½ tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
1 cup lard, room temperature
4 quarts canola oil
1½ pounds catfish fillets
2 cups buttermilk
4 pieces Texas toast, grilled and halved on the diagonal
Pickles, homemade or preferred brand
For hot sauce
- Mix breading ingredients together and reserve.
- Mix the cayenne, paprika, and Old Bay Seasoning into lard and reserve at room temperature.
- Heat a large pot of canola oil to 350 degrees.
- Cut catfish into 2-inch strips and place in buttermilk. Remove from buttermilk and cover in cornmeal breading. Once thoroughly covered, pat off excess breading and drop into hot oil. Cook until golden brown and then drain on paper towel-lined plate. (Pour just enough hot sauce for your taste over fish evenly and let rest for a few minutes.) Serve fish over pieces of grilled Texas toast, topped with your favorite pickles.
- Recipe by Caitlin Carney and Marcus Jacobs of Marjie's Grill in New Orleans