1½ pounds fresh green beans,cleaned of the ends and cut to 1-2 inch lengths
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 clove garlic
Butter, as needed
2 cup mixed mushrooms, preferably oyster, crimini, button, and/or wild, sliced
Salt, as needed
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme
½ cup white wine
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups home-made or store-bought Durkee onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blanch beans in salted water for one minute and immediately place in an ice bath to stop from cooking further. Set aside.
- Sweat onions and garlic in a bit of butter until aromatic.
- Add mushrooms and continue to sweat until a bit of moisture is released.
- Season with a bit of salt and add bay leaf and thyme.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
- Add milk and cream, reduce until slightly thick.
- Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- In a food processor or blender, purée mixture until smooth
- Place beans and mushroom purée in a casserole dish and spread Durkee onions on top.
- Bake until slightly browned and the sides are bubbling, about 20-30 minutes.
- from Eli and Andrea Kirshtein of The Luminary, Atlanta, GA