3 pounds chicken, deboned
Salt and pepper
½ cup chili agrodolce (recipe follows)
¼ cup arugula
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
1 tablespoon pickled grapes (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups sugar
¾ cup rice vinegar
¾ cup cider vinegar
½ cup mirin
1 pound red Fresno chilis, de-stemmed and rough chopped
1 garlic clove, rough chopped
½ cup water
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 pound green seedless grapes, halved
- Make the chicken: Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Using hot grill with an oiled grate, place chicken on grate, skin side up. Cover grill and cook until skin begins to render and firm up, about 5 minutes.
- Gently turn chicken over and brush liberally with agrodolce (recipe follows). Cover grill and cook chicken skin side down another 5 minutes.
- Turn once more to skin side up, brush again with agrodolce, and cook through, about 2-5 minutes more, until internal temperature is 160 degrees. Brush again with agrodolce and remove from grill.
- Cut chicken into large chunks, lay on plate with arugula, pine nuts, and pickled grapes (recipe follows). Drizzle with oil and serve immediately.
- Make the agrodolce: Combine sugar, vinegars, and mirin in saucepot and bring to a boil. Add chilis and garlic and return to a boil.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using blender, stick blender, or food processor, purée to chunky consistency. Keep refrigerated.
- Make the pickled grapes: Combine water, vinegar, and sugar in saucepot and bring to a boil.
- Pour boiling liquid over grapes.
- Refrigerate. Grapes are ready to use when fully cooled.
Recipe ByRyan Pera and Morgan Weber of Coltivare in Houston, Texas