The unexpected grilling companion: halloumi. If you’ve never tried your hand at grilled halloumi, fear not: the prep work is similar to searing meat. Oil and season both sides (though, you can skimp on the salt as halloumi is often packaged in a brine), and sear on each side. Executive chef Brandy Williamson of Daniel Reed Hospitality in Savannah pairs this smoky cheese with summer green tomatoes, an earthy daal, and toasted pita bread for serving.
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 fresh, hot green chili pepper, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
4 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups tomatoes
⅔ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped dates
1 pound halloumi cheese, portioned into 4 pieces
1 green tomato, sliced into 4 pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
Toasted pita bread
Fresh herbs of choice
For Spice Bundle
- Over low heat, toast all spices in a saucepan, then remove from heat and bundle together in a cheesecloth.
- In a medium sized pot, add olive oil and sautée onions, garlic, chili, and ginger.
- Add spice bundle and rest of ingredients and simmer until thick, approximately 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Season green tomato slices with salt and pepper and sear each slice for one minute per side. Set side on a paper towel.
- Heat another large skillet and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Sear each slice of cheese on each side until outside is golden brown and inside is soft and heated through. (This cheese is typically packaged in a brine, so there is no need for extra salt.)
- Divide daal into four bowls. In center of bowl, layer a slice of green tomato and halloumi cheese.
- Garnish with toasted pita bread and fresh herbs.
Recipe Byexecutive chef Brandy Williamson of Daniel Reed Hospitality in Savannah