¼ cup cane vinegar, divided
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons pickling salt
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
3 sprigs fresh thyme
12 tablespoons sliced baby sweet peppers
2 cobs fresh corn
1 pound fresh okra, cut in half lengthwise
¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
¼ cup buttermilk
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon fresh chives, sliced
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped, divided
Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
½ teaspoon aleppo pepper
4 large leaves fresh basil, torn
2 large leaves fresh purple basil, torn
- Pickle peppers: In a small sauce pot, heat half of the cane vinegar with the water, sugar, pickling salt, mustard seeds, and thyme until dissolved. Place peppers in a bowl, pour liquid over peppers, and allow to cool.
- Season corn and okra with vegetable oil, sea salt, and fresh black pepper. Grill over real wood charcoal until just charred. Slice corn kernels from cob.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk remaining cane vinegar with remaining vegetable oil, buttermilk, shallot, chives and half of the chopped parsley and torn green basil and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn, aleppo pepper, remaining chopped parsley, salt, and black pepper.
- To serve, place okra and corn on a platter and drizzle buttermilk vinaigrette over top. Garnish with torn purple basil leaves and pickled pepper. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- From Scott Crawford, Crawford & Son and Jolie, Raleigh, North Carolina