- Clean the crabs: Rinse crabs under cold water and use a small brush to remove any dirt. Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut off the face just behind the eyes, then lift the edges on either side of the cut to reveal the gills and snip those off as well. Flip the crab over and pull off the triangle-shaped apron.
- In a cold, large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray to cool and chop. Reserve bacon fat—you’ll need about a half cup for the greens.
- Combine chopped bacon, greens, hominy, pickled vegetables, mustard, and vinegar in a metal bowl (the vessel must be metal, so use a pot or pan if necessary). Set aside.
- Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick pan over medium-high (or prepare charcoal grill). Brush crabs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook crabs, turning every couple of minutes and brushing with additional oil as needed, until they turn bright orange and are cooked through, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- While the crabs are cooking, heat ½ cup bacon fat in a small pot or pan (for safety, the fat should not fill the pot or pan by more than one-third). Heat over medium-high until you see wisps of smoke. Carefully pour the grease over the greens and stir gently, wilting the greens. You should hear the greens fry a little. Serve soft shells alongside kilt greens immediately.
From Soft-Shells Season.