Food Culture of the South
Makes 1 cocktail
2 ounces Reposado Tequila
¾ ounce lemon juice
½ ounce Aperol
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup blackberries
1 tablespoon guajillo chiles, seeded and deveined
- Pour all ingredients except lemon smile into cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake hard for 15 seconds and double strain into a coupe glass.
- To make a lemon smile, peel a large swath of lemon and use your paring knife to scrape away any white pith inside.
- Clean up the edges and cut into a long diamond with a slice lengthways down the center.
- Combine ingredients in small saucepan.
- Bring mixture up to 170 degrees and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the blackberries have released their juice and the sugar has dissolved.
- Strain out the solids.
- From Josh Phillips, Espita Mezcaleria, Washington DC