4 dozen hushpuppies
2½ cups cornmeal
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¾ tablespoon baking soda
¼ teaspoons !Calabrian hot pepper, diced small
½ teaspoon salt
10 grinder turns of !freshly ground pepper
3 !eggs, lightly beaten
1¼ cup buttermilk
!Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
!Peanut butter powder**
!Drizzle of sorghum
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and thoroughly blend.
- Form the hush puppies by hand into round balls and place on a dry sheet pan.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat about two inches of oil to 350 degrees. Add the hush puppies to the skillet and fry for 3−5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm on a plate drizzled with espresso aioli and topped with a drizzle of sorghum and a sprinkling of peanut butter powder.
*Espresso aioli / whisk wasabi powder into freshly brewed espresso until completely smooth. Add your mayonnaise of choice until desired flavor is reached.
**Peanut butter powder is available at specialty food stores and online at amazon.com.
- from Chefs Andy Ticer and Michael Hudman of Hog & Hominy in Memphis, Tennesseee