- Cook pecans in boiling salted water for 1 minute.
- Drain thoroughly. Put in a mixing bowl. Coat with 3 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- Fry them at 300 degrees until just golden. (I recommend a DeLonghi home fryer. You put a little oil in it, heat it, put some water on your finger to sprinkle on the oil, and if it pops, it’s ready.)
- Drain pecans. Coat with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- Let dry under a heat lamp or in oven on low heat.
Sweet Potato Purée
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Cover in water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook until tender (about 15−20 minutes) or until fork tender. Drain.
- Purée in a food processor or mash by hand with butter, heavy cream, brown sugar, and maple syrup.
- Season with salt and white pepper. Hold warm.
Orange Marmalade-Star Anise Sauce
- Combine marmalade, water, orange juice, and star anise in a small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove star anise. Swirl in butter. Season with salt and pepper. Hold warm.
Roasted Stayman Apples
Melt butter over medium heat. Sauté apple wedges until they are a bit soft but still firm (about 4 minutes). Hold warm.
For Swiss Chard and Shiitakes
- Sweat butter, shallot, and garlic in a sauté pan over medium-high heat for 2−3 minutes.
- Add shiitakes. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add Swiss chard and continue to cook over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine. Cook until wine has been absorbed.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Season duck breasts with salt and black pepper.
- Heat sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add duck fat.
- Place duck breasts skin side down. Sear about 2−3 minutes until skin is crispy.
- Turn over and finish in oven at 350 degrees for about 5−7 minutes. Cook to medium rare or medium. Place on cutting board and let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Pour honey over each of the breasts. Slice thinly.
- Place sweet potatoes in center of plate.
- Place chard and shiitakes alongside. Fan duck over top.
- Garnish with apples and candied pecans.
- Drizzle orange marmalade-star anise sauce around dish.