Makes 24 spring rolls
1½ pounds roasted turkey breast, finely chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
8 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
8 tablespoons pimento cheese
(24) 4-inch wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten
½ cup canola oil
Mornay sauce, (recipe follows)
Parsley, for garnish
Paprika, for garnish
- In mixing bowl, combine turkey, tomatoes, bacon, and pimento cheese.
- Place wonton on flat, clean work surface. Brush wonton with beaten egg.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in a line in lower corner of wonton. Fold right quarter of wonton toward center and filling. Follow with left quarter and then roll. Repeat for remaining wontons.
- In small sauce pan set over medium, heat oil to 350 degrees. Fry egg rolls 2 to 3 at a time until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Serve with Mornay sauce for dipping and garnish with parsley and paprika.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup whole milk
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 pinch nutmeg
Salt and pepper
- In small saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Whisking constantly, add flour and cook until light brown in color, being careful not to burn .
- Add cream and milk, continually stirring until smooth.
- Add Parmesan and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts and sauce thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- By Josh Bettis, The Brown Hotel, Louisville, Kentucky