1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup rice wine vinegar
½ cup sugaR
1 tablespoon salt
5 carrots, washed and peeled
1 head celery, washed and peeled
1 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon celery seed, ground
1 teaspoon mustard seed, ground
4 pieces leftover fried chicken, meat pulled and chopped (about 2 cups)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the pickled carrots and celery:
For the chicken salad:
- Make the pickles: In a saucepot, combine both vinegars with ½ cup water, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar and salt. Remove pickling liquid from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, peel carrots to form ribbons. Transfer carrot ribbons to a jar and set aside. Chop celery and add to a second jar. Divide pickling liquid between two jars and allow carrots and celery to pickle for at least 24 hours.
- Make the chicken salad: In a mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise and spices and stir to combine. Add the leftover fried chicken and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine pickled carrot and celery with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken salad on rustic bread topped with pickles.
- Kevin Getzewich of One Broad in Charleston, South Carolina