6½ ounces heavy cream
1⅓ cup currants
Zest of ½ lemon
2⅔ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar, plus extra for topping
1½ tablespoons baking powder
1½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, whisk together cream, 1 egg, currants, and lemon zest. Reserve in refrigerator.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add cold butter to bowl. Cut butter into flour until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Make well in flour and pour in egg mixture. Mix flour and liquid to form dough.
- Place dough on floured work surface. Roll to approximately 1 inch thick. Use hands to shape it into circle.
- Cut dough into 6 wedges, then place on baking sheet and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In small bowl, whisk together remaining egg and brush on top of scones. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 25 minutes.
- from Chef Ari Kolender of Saint Alban in Charleston, South Carolina