Food Culture of the South
Serves 8 to 12
1 tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
5 cups elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
2 tablespoons Twisted Soul spice blend, divided
3½ cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided
½ cup unsalted butter, plus more for buttering pan
½ cup flour
1 quart milk
8 ounces cream cheese, diced
12 ounces american cheese, diced
For the Twisted Soul spice blend:
For the macaroni and cheese:
- Make the spice blend: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Make the mac and cheese: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, toss macaroni with 1 tablespoon seasoning mixture and 1 cup cheddar. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add flour, stirring to form a roux. Continue to stir for 1 to 2 more minutes. Reduce heat to low and slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Once milk is incorporated, increase heat and bring sauce to a boil for 1 minute, then cook over medium heat for 2 more minutes.
- Add cream cheese and american cheese in batches, stirring after each addition until cheese has melted into sauce. Add 1½ cups of the cheddar, stirring to incorporate. Remove from heat and season to taste with remaining spice blend. Using a fork, whip eggs. Add to sauce and stir to incorporate.
- Spread macaroni evenly into a buttered 9×13-inch baking dish. Pour cheese sauce evenly over top. Top with remaining cup of cheddar and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes for a browned cheese crust. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Recipe by Deborah VanTrece of Twisted Soul Cookhouse & Pours, Atlanta