1 package puff pastry thawed
1 pound strawberries sliced and separated
¼ cup sugar separated
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar plus more for garnish
1 vanilla bean scraped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold thawed puff pastry and cut out 4-inch rounds with biscuit cutter. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
- Take ¼ pound of strawberries and purée with 2 tablespoons sugar. Strain and set aside.
- Mix remaining strawberries with sugar and lemon juice. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Whip heavy cream with powdered sugar and contents of vanilla bean.
- Cut each puff pastry round in half horizontally. Top with whipped cream and strawberries. Top with other half of puff pastry, more whipped cream, strawberries, and drizzle strawberry sauce. Garnish with powdered sugar.
- from Chef Jill Mathias of Chez Nous, Charleston, South Carolina