1 9-inch pie, approximately 8 servings
1 pie crust, store bought or home-made*
1½ cups sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, room temperature
¾ cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll home-made or store-bought pie dough to ¼-inch thick and press into 9-inch pie dish, trimming excess. If using cookie crust, press moist ingredients into 9-inch pie dish, covering entire bottom and up the sides.
- Cover crust with parchment and add rice, beans, or pie weights (Adams uses pennies!). Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove pie weights and parchment. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs together, then stir in sugar mixture.
- When egg and sugar mix is well combined, whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into par baked pie shell.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the filling has just set. Serve warm with ice cream.
*Adams also suggests substituting a regular pastry crust for a cookie crust or Snickerdoodle crust
- from Shannon Adams of HoneyBee Bakery in Oxford, MS