1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
1 small shallot
1 bulb fennel
trimmed and thinly shaved
8 ounces assorted wild mushrooms
cleaned and sliced
2 tablespoons fig balsamic vinegar
1 cup havarti cheese, shredded
2 ounces herb goat cheese
2 pieces flatbread
1 pint fresh blackberries
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the shallot, and sauté starting to brown about 5 minutes.
- Add the fennel to the pan, and cook until softened about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are starting to brown.
- Add the fig balsamic to pan, and stir until vinegar has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let mushroom mixture cool until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- When ready to grill, have all ingredients ready by the grill. Turn heat on the grill down to low.
- Brush one side of each flatbread with a little olive oil. Place on the hot grill, and grill just until bread is warm about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip flatbread over, and quickly brush with more olive oil. Spread each flatbread with some of the mushroom mixture, havarti and goat cheese. Close the hood of the grill, and cook just until cheese melts about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove the flatbread from the grill, and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds and fresh blackberries.
- [Sponsored] Recipe courtesy of J. Lohr Vineyards in San Jose, California