- Cut each sugarcane stick lengthwise into 7 smaller sticks by first cutting it into 3 major portions the long way, then cut the end of each skewer into a point, like a spear, in order to smoothly slide the meatballs onto sugarcane skewers. Reserve leftover sugarcane juice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine baking powder with cold water and rice wine and whisk. It will begin to foam.
- Thoroughly mix (hand mixing is fine) ground pork, fish sauce, sugar, salt, white pepper, garlic, shallots, red food coloring, and the foaming baking powder mixture until ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to develop and meat mixture to tighten.
- After meat is chilled, form meatballs.
- Gently push sugarcane skewer through formed meatballs. Leave a little bit of space at both ends of the skewers.
- Grill or broil until internal temp reaches 145 degrees. Baste skewers on the grill with leftover sugarcane juice.
- Sauté spring onions in a pre-heated pan on high with canola or vegetable oil for 15-30 seconds.
- Top skewers with spring onions and oil.