1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie
3½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons cubed butter, chilled
5-6 tablespoons chilled water
1½ tablespoons vodka
12 ounces chilled cream cheese
⅓ cup sugar, divided
1¾ cups Nutella
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cups chopped, toasted hazelnuts
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
1½ tablespoons powdered sugar
¼ cup Frangelico liquor
Frangelico Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour. Combine until butter is no longer visible, but stop before dough starts to come together. (Alternatively, you can use a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment to cut butter into flour, but keep it on low speed and don’t overmix.)
- Add 5 tablespoons chilled water and vodka and use your hands to bring mixture together into a dough. If it seems dry, add the last tablespoon of water 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Divide dough into two balls and allow it to rest at room temperature for 1 to 6 hours. (This recipe requires one par-baked shell. If you have extra dough, wrap in plastic and reserve refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.)
- Roll out one ball of dough to fit your pie pan. Pierce bottom all over with a fork. Decorate edges as desired and chill for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line shell pie with parchment, then fill with pie weights, rice, or beans. Parbake for 20 minutes, then remove weights, pierce again with a fork, and bake until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine cream cheese and half the sugar in a bowl and cream until smooth, scraping a few times to make sure everything is incorporated. (Do not aerate, just mix until smooth.)
- Add Nutella and mix until combined, then mix an additional 1 minute to slightly lighten. Add chocolate slowly while machine is running and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, salt, and remaining sugar and whisk until thick and pale. Slowly add egg mixture to chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Add hazelnuts.
- Use a spatula to fold mixture, making sure everything is evenly distributed. Pour into parbaked pie shell and spread evenly. Allow to chill for 1 to 2 hours to set.
For Frangelico Whipped Cream
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, combine all ingredients and whip until stiff peaks form. Place on pie and top with chopped hazelnuts if desired.
- From Tiffany MacIsaac of Buttercream Bakeshop, Washington, DC