Olive Oil Sponge Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9x13-inch cake pan.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, yolks, and all juice and zest. Mix well and set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip egg whites, salt, and sugar to stiff peaks. Transfer meringue to separate bowl and set aside.
- Clean mixer bowl and add all-purpose flour. Using paddle attachment, slowly add citrus juice/yolk mixture to the flour. Mix on low until completely incorporated.
- Add olive oil to batter, mixing until completely incorporated. Remove bowl from mixer. Using spatula, fold meringue into batter in two batches. Continue folding until whites are completely incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Slowly, pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate and bake additional 15 minutes. Test center of cake with toothpick. Bake additional 5 minutes, if needed, or until done. Cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients, except cream cheese, in medium saucepot. Set pot over medium heat and bring to simmer.
- Remove from heat and add cream cheese. Allow residual heat to melt cream cheese, whisking until completely dissolved.
- Strain mixture, reserving liquid, and refrigerate until completely cool. Process sherbet in ice cream machine per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Allow strawberries to sit for two hours, agitating and stirring every 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator.
- To Assemble
- To serve, plate slices of Olive Oil Cake, add scoop of Lemon Sherbet on side, and top with Macerated Strawberries. A little glass of Grand Marnier wouldn’t hurt either.