5 peaches peeled – (Drop in boiling water for 20-25 seconds, removed into an ice bath.)
½ brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
8 ounces butter
1 cup brown sugar
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 ounces water
- Peel peaches. Cut in half and remove the pit. Slice each half into five pieces. Sauté in a medium sauce pan over medium heat with butter. Add the brown sugar and continue to sauté for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch cast iron skillet.
- With a mixer, mix together butter and sugar in a large bowl well until creamy. Add flour and spices just to blend lightly.
- Add a little water at a time to help loosen the topping a little (you may not use all the water). Place sautéed peaches the cast iron skillet. Top with the topping until fully covered. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until browned on the top.
- from John Zucker of Cru Café in Charleston, SC