⅔ cups confectioners sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
11 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
½ cup honey (local, preferable)
3 tablespoons heavy cream
½ cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest using fine grate on microplane
4 cups pecan halves, chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- For the crust, blend confectioners sugar and flour together in a food processor. Gradually add 16 tablespoons of softened butter and vanilla extract using pulse mode. Mix until just combined as over-processing will make a tough crust.
- Pat the crust into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- For the topping, mix melted butter, honey, cream, orange zest, and brown sugar together. Stir in pecans. Spread over prepared crust. Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Recipe from chef Katie Button of Curaté, Asheville, North Carolina