- In small bowl, mix together all spice mix ingredients. Set aside.
- To make chili base, whisk together flour and water in large stockpot until smooth. Add tomato paste, whisking to fully incorporate. Stir in tomato sauce, 4 tablespoons hot sauce, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons spice mix. Stir in diced tomatoes.
- Rinse and drain beans; add to stockpot.
- Remove skins from sausage. Set large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil, and swirl to coat. Add sausage; cook and stir until browned, breaking up into smaller pieces. Remove from pan, and place in bowl. Reserve.
- Reduce heat to medium. If necessary, add more oil to skillet and add onions. Sauté until tender. Add roasted jalapeño.
- Add ground beef or turkey to onions and jalapeño. Cook and stir until browned, breaking up into smaller pieces. Return cooked sausage to pan with ground meat.
- Add remaining spice blend, then pour beer over mixture, and simmer until liquid is reduced to less than half.
- Add meat and liquid to pot with beans and stir well. Let simmer for 20 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning, adding more hot sauce if desired. Let chili rest for 1-2 hours before serving.