- Place shrimp in deep casserole or baking dish. Combine next 6 ingredients in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes, allowing kaffir lime leaves and ginger flavors to infuse.
- Pour hot pickling liquid over shrimp and let stand 5–6 minutes. You can test one shrimp by slicing into it to see if it’s cooked through. Strain shrimp from pickling liquid. Reserve liquid and let cool completely. Return shrimp to cooled pickling liquid and store in refrigerator until ready to serve. This may be done up to 2 hours in advance.
- When ready to serve, peel shrimp, leaving heads on. Place a generous pinch of the pickled cucumbers in center of plate. Arrange about 3 peeled shrimp on top of cucumbers, standing them up if possible. Spoon a healthy drizzle of the Yuzu-Sriracha Sauce around shrimp and sprinkle with pickled mushrooms. Gently place a piece of crispy hog jowl on top of shrimp and serve.
Crispy Hog Jowl
- Ask your local butcher or deli counter to slice the meat for you in order to get it paper thin.
- Start with very thinly sliced. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Arrange slices in single layer on parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake until crispy, 10–15 minutes, without allowing slices to brown too much.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until fully incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning and spice to taste.
- Pass sauce through fine strainer if desired to create smoother consistency. Sauce may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.