Makes 4 servings
Oil for frying
1 cup milk
2 cups flour, seasoned to your preference (suggestions: paprika, celery salt, garlic salt, oregano, basil, thyme, dry mustard)
8 portobello mushroom caps, cut into ½-inch strips
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 gallon mayonnaise
3 cups chili sauce
½ small onion, puréed
¼ cup dried parsley leaves
1 tablespoon paprika
1 cup prepared horseradish
Salt and pepper to taste
For the portobello “fries”:
For the horseradish comeback sauce:
- For comeback dressing, mix all ingredients together in a blender or food processor. (Note: this is a large batch, but it will keep for 2 weeks sealed in the refrigerator.)
- Heat oil in fryer or deep-bottomed stockpot.
- While heating oil, prepare “fries”: pour milk into one bowl and whisk flour with desired seasonings in another.
- Dip portobello strips into flour, then into milk, then back into flour again.
- Drop into hot oil and fry until crispy and golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with horseradish comeback dressing.
- From Derek Emerson, Walker’s Drive-In, Jackson, MS