Pickled Ramp Aïoli
- Combine the eggs, ramps, ramp liquid, and lemon juice and blend.
- Emulsify the oil, adding water to thin, and finish with salt.
- Mix the potatoes with the grapeseed oil, thyme and bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Place in separate Cryovac bags and vacuum seal.
- Place in a circulator bath at 185 degrees until tender.
- Shock in an ice bath until thoroughly chilled.
- Cut the potatoes into half-inch pieces and reserve.
- Slice the fingerling potatoes on a mandolin very thin.
- Place the sliced potatoes into warm salted water (½ cup kosher salt per gallon of water).
- Fry at 325 degrees until the potatoes are golden.
- Remove immediately from the fryer and place on a wire rack and season.
- Place the chopped onions on a wire rack and place in a smoker and smoke until a tan-golden color is achieved.
- Caramelize the sugar in a Dutch oven or small stockpot.
- Add the vinegar, cover with a lid, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the onions and steep in the gastrique and reduce by half.
- Strain the onions out and continue to reduce until you reach a syrup consistency. It is very important not to overreduce, as it will become too bitter.
Garnish with trout roe mixed with Georgia olive oil, potato chips, hickory gastrique, and micro celery leaves.