1 egg + 1 yolk
1¾ ounces pickled ramps
1¾ ounces pickled ramp liquid
Juice of half a lemon
1¼ cups canola oil
1 ounce water
½ tablespoon salt
20 marble potatoes
Thyme and bay leaf, wrapped in plastic wrap
Salt and pepper
6 fingerling potatoes
Oil for frying
2 onions, roughly chopped
1½ cups sugar
1½ cups sherry vinegar
Georgia olive oil
Micro celery leaves
Pickled Ramp Aïoli
- Combine the eggs, ramps, ramp liquid, and lemon juice and blend.
- Emulsify the oil, adding water to thin, and finish with salt.
- Mix the potatoes with the grapeseed oil, thyme and bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Place in separate Cryovac bags and vacuum seal.
- Place in a circulator bath at 185 degrees until tender.
- Shock in an ice bath until thoroughly chilled.
- Cut the potatoes into half-inch pieces and reserve.
- Slice the fingerling potatoes on a mandolin very thin.
- Place the sliced potatoes into warm salted water (½ cup kosher salt per gallon of water).
- Fry at 325 degrees until the potatoes are golden.
- Remove immediately from the fryer and place on a wire rack and season.
- Place the chopped onions on a wire rack and place in a smoker and smoke until a tan-golden color is achieved.
- Caramelize the sugar in a Dutch oven or small stockpot.
- Add the vinegar, cover with a lid, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the onions and steep in the gastrique and reduce by half.
- Strain the onions out and continue to reduce until you reach a syrup consistency. It is very important not to overreduce, as it will become too bitter.
Serve / Garnish with trout roe mixed with Georgia olive oil, potato chips, hickory gastrique, and micro celery leaves.
- from Chef Joseph Lenn of The Barn at Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tennessee