- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or line with parchment paper ) 2 half-sheet trays.
- Place first 4 wet ingredients for cake in a standing mixer. Mix until combined. Add all dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add beet purée. Mix until fully combined.
- Pour evenly into each sheet pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- For juniper syrup, add berries, water and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Steep for 20 minutes. Strain and chill until ready to use.
- For frosting, in a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment cream the cheeses, zest, vanilla bean innards, and sugar until smooth, about 10 minutes. Add orange juice to taste, and mix until combined. Chill until ready to use.
- Once cake has completely cooled, brush with juniper syrup and then frost with citrusy goat cheese icing.
Roast whole red beets in oven at 425 until very tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool and peel, then purée in food processor until perfectly smooth.