1 pound fresh nopalitos
spines removed, cleaned and chopped
1½ teaspoons salt
1 cup chopped spring onions or scallions
½ cup sliced radishes
Juice from ½ lime
2 tablespoons Texas olive oil
½ cup Turk’s Cap petals for garnish
4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (2½-pound) boneless pork loin, trimmed
For the salad:
For the pork:
Make the salad:
- Blanch nopalitos in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Strain and rinse under cold water.
- In a bowl, combine nopalitos with salt, onions, radishes, lime juice, and olive oil. Add more lime and salt to taste.
Make the pork:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place a baking rack inside of a roasting pan.
- Mix thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper together and thoroughly coat pork loin. Place loin fat side up into the roasting pan, then into oven.
- Cook until pork reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees, about 30 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, and then carve into ½-inch slices.
- To serve, place salad alongside pork and garnish with Turk’s Cap petals.
- Recipe by Steve McHugh of Cured at Pearl in San Antonio, Texas