12 large oysters
3-4 cups sea salt
XO-Egg sauce (recipe follows)
1 scallion, diagonal-sliced
1/2 teaspoon Korean powder
1 cup XO sauce (recipe follows)
4 teaspoons lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons Korean powder *
3 cups oil blend (1 part canola, 1 part extra virgin olive oil)
1 cup egg yolks
1 pound, plus 4 ounces ham scraps
6 ounces ginger, peeled
1 pound, plus 2 ounces garlic , peeled
2 large onions
3 pounds dried and smoked scallop feet, rehydrated*
4 ounces dried shrimp, rehydrated*
1 tablespoon chili flakes
1 1/4 cup sesame oil
*these ingredients can be found at an Asian market or specialty store
For XO-egg sauce|
For XO sauce
- Preheat oven to high broil. Use an oyster knife to remove top of the oyster. The top is flat, not cup-shaped. Place oysters on a sheet tray or small pan lined with salt, and top each with 1 tablespoon of XO-Egg sauce. Broil on high for 4 minutes or until brown.
- Remove from oven and garnish each with scallion and dash of Korean powder. Sprinkle coarse salt over serving plate to stabilize oyster shells, if desired.
For XO-egg sauce:
- Blend first four ingredients in a blender. Slowly add oil and egg yolks.
For XO sauce:
- Put each ingredient into food processor separately, and process until very fine.
- Place all processed ingredients in a pan and cook over low heat, until browned.
- Recipe by Chef Craig Diehl of Cypress in Charleston, South Carolina