2½ cups chicken or vegetable stock (can also use water)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter), separated
½ teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon saffron
2 cups white basmati rice
- Combine stock and coconut milk in medium-sized pot (pot will need a tight-fitting lid) over high heat.
- While stock is coming to a boil add salt, 1 teaspoon ghee, garlic, and saffron. Stir well.
- Add rice. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low (simmer) and cover tightly with a lid. Cook 12−15 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed by the rice. (To check liquid levels, insert a fork or knife straight down into the pot and push the rice aside. If there is still any liquid, it needs more time to absorb.)
- When liquid is almost all gone, turn off heat and keep tightly covered on burner for another 5−10 minutes. The heat inside the pot will finish steaming the rice.
- Remove lid, fluff rice with a fork, and serve.
- from Lavanya Sabin, Charleston, SC