2 english cucumbers, seeded and sliced
4 baby fennel bulbs, sliced, and tops reserved
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped, plus 6 whole sprigs
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon shallot, minced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
6 teaspoons brown butter, divided
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
4 fillets rainbow trout
- In a mixing bowl, combine cucumbers, fennel, chopped dill, parsley, shallot, lemon juice, and 4 teaspoons of brown butter, and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- In an iron skillet, heat remaining brown butter until it begins to smoke.
- Pat the trout dry with a paper towel. Sear in the skillet skin side down until skin is golden brown and crispy. Turn the trout and cook approximately 1 more minute. Remove and place on a plate.
- Top trout with cucumbers and fennel. Garnish fresh dill sprigs and fennel tops. Season with sea salt.
- From Scott Crawford, Crawford and Son and Jolie, Raleigh, North Carolina