2 pounds ground lamb (beef works as well)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon toasted and crushed cumin seeds
1 teaspoon toasted and crushed coriander seeds
2 teaspoons paprika,Salt
cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup chopped mint
serrano peppers, minced very fine
2 small onions, grated or minced very fine
teaspoons minced garlic
teaspoons minced ginger
1 egg, beaten
½ cup bread crumbs (if needed)*
16–20 8-inch bamboo skewers soaked in water
**These kababs can also be baked or pan-fried with a bit of butter.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.**
- In a bowl, mix ground lamb with lemon juice, cumin, coriander, paprika, and pinch of salt. Add all remaining ingredients except bread crumbs and knead until everything is very well incorporated and you have a uniformly smooth mixture.
- At this point, cook off a small piece on the grill and taste. Adjust salt to your liking.
- Using slightly wet hands (a bit of water will keep meat from sticking to you) form long sausage shapes around skewers. Alternatively, form meat into small 2-ounce patties if preferred.
- Grill to desired doneness and enjoy.
- *If the meat mixture has too much moisture, work in bread crumbs as needed.
- from Chef Vishwesh Bhatt of City Grocery Restaurant group in Oxford, Mississippi