2 tablespoons dried red onion flakes
2 tablespoons dried garlic
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup crème fraîche
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/8 cup + 1 additional tablespoon water
- Combine red onion flakes, dried garlic, and poppy and sesame seeds with 1 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, brown sugar remaining salt and dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to incorporate.
- Whisk crème fraîche, olive oil and 3/8 cup water together in a small bowl, then add to the food processor and pulse until just combined with flour mix.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 10 strokes.
- Divide dough in half, cover with plastic, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/16-inch thick, making sure to roll evenly.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into approximately 2×4-inch rectangles and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Lightly beat the egg with the remaining water, then brush each cracker with resulting egg wash.
- Sprinkle with the dried onion and sesame mix, gently pressing down on each one with a spatula to press the seeds into the cracker dough.
- Prick each cracker several times with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until golden and crisp, rotating at least once.
- Remove and let cool.
Date Published: 04.01.14
from Chef Erik Niel of Easy Bistro & Bar, Chattanooga, Tennessee