4 ounces Benton’s bacon or other deeply smoked bacon,
cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
1¼ cups chopped onion
¾ cup thinly sliced celery
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 small bay leaf
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
5 cups chicken stock
3 cups shelled field peas, preferably peas and snaps
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups lightly packed stemmed and thinly shredded leafy greens
(spinach, chard, kale, escarole)
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon pepper vinegar or cider vinegar
Black pepper cornbread croutons, for serving (recipe follows)
3 cups day-old sugar-free cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 tablespoons bacon fat and/or butter, melted
½ teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
For the soup:
For the black pepper cornbread croutons:
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon, stirring often, until browned and almost crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Spoon off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat and set aside in a bowl to use in the croutons.
- To pot with 2 tablespoons bacon fat, add onion, celery, carrots, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, and 1 teaspoon of the rosemary and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, peas, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until peas are tender, about 25 minutes. (The fresher the peas, the more quickly they’ll cook.) Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Stir in greens, pepper flakes, and the remaining thyme and rosemary. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt, about 5 minutes. Stir in bacon and vinegar and check the seasoning. Serve hot, topped with a handful of black pepper cornbread croutons.
Note: This soup can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cool, cover, and refrigerate. Do not add the bacon until time to serve. Check the seasoning because the soup will likely need more salt and vinegar.
Black Pepper Cornbread Croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread cornbread cubes in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until firm and just beginning to color on the edges, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir together bacon fat, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over bread cubes and toss lightly to coat. Continue baking until croutons are crispy and golden brown on the edges, about 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a cutting board or large plate to cool before using in soup.
- From Sheri Castle