Makes 8 cups
2 cups raw pecans
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup pepitas
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspon coarse sea salt
(or more to taste)
2 teaspoons vanilla
¾ cup olive oil
½ cup sorghum syrup
2 egg whites
1 cup dried tart cherries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread pecans evenly on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted pecans (whole or broken up), oats, pepitas, coconut flakes, brown sugar, and sea salt.
- Stir vanilla into olive oil and fold both into oat mixture. (Clean hands are the best way to toss this together.) Add sorghum and toss until combined.
- Whisk egg whites and gently fold into mixture (this helps to clump the granola).
- Spread granola on two rimmed baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and continue to bake until granola starts to deepen in color, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Toss gently with dried cherries.