(Makes about 1½ quarts)
16 ounces smoked trout
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
14 ounces cream cheese
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
Scant ¼ cup sliced chives
(Makes about 1 quart)
5 ounces lemon juice
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons sweet smoked paprika
1 cup parsley
¾ cup cilantro
6 tablespoons dijon mustard
½ ounce salt
Scant 1 cup olive oil
2½ cups cornmeal
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
1 cup sour corn
1½ cups buttermilk
For the smoked trout dip:
For the ramp chermoula:
For the johnnycakes:
Make the smoked trout dip:
- Flake trout and set aside. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Fold trout into mixture until well incorporated—do not overwork.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt as needed (the trout is brined before smoking, so don’t add salt until you’ve mixed and tasted the dip).
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the ramp chermoula:
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except oil with 2 tablespoons water. Puree until smooth.
- With blender on low, add oil in a thin stream.
Make the johnnycakes:
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add melted butter and bacon fat and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg thoroughly. Add sour corn and buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough cooking oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Using a large spoon or ¼-cup measuring cup, spoon out batter and drop into pan to form silver-dollar-sized cakes.
- Cook like pancakes—when tops begin showing bubbles and the edges have set, about 1 minute, flip and cook until golden brown, about 30 to 45 seconds more.
- Recipe by Ken Naron of Canyon Kitchen in Sapphire, North Carolina