Food Culture of the South
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons palm sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 tablespoons fish sauce
1 jalapeño, grated
1 garlic clove, grated
½ pound slab bacon, diced (London uses Benton’s)
4 to 6 ripe plums
4 ripe peaches
6 tablespoons rice flour
3 radishes, sliced thin
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup thai basil leaves
½ cup cilantro leaves
½ cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons finishing salt, such as Maldon or Fleur de Sel
Zest of 1 lime
For the vinaigrett
For the salad:
- Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients with 2 tablespoons water and set aside for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Make the salad: In a pot, cover bacon with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain bacon, pat dry, and set aside.
- Using a paring knife, cut plums and peaches in half lengthwise, essentially scoring the fruit all the way to the pit and continuing up the other side. Very gently separate the fruit from the pit and discard pits. Set fruit aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Toss bacon cubes in rice flour, shaking off excess, and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To serve, place fruit on a plate or bowl and scatter bacon and next five ingredients around and on top. Spoon vinaigrette over top of salad and finish with salt and lime zest.
- Recipe by James London of Chubby Fish, Charleston, South Carolina