3 pounds medium-size, red-skinned sweet potatoes
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature, plus 2 tablespoons
¼ cup heavy cream
¼ cup (packed) golden brown sugar
½ cup pecan pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pierce all sweet potatoes in several places with fork. Bake until tender when pierced with knife, about 55 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Scoop potato pulp into large bowl. Add 6 tablespoons butter, cream, and brown sugar. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Beat in sherry. Salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in sauté pan. Add pecan pieces and sauté until toasted. Top casserole with pecan pieces.
- Re-warm sweet potatoes in low temperature oven until ready to serve.
- from the Test Kitchen, Charleston, SC