For the Masa
In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Using your hands, incorporate the lard, slowly add the water and knead until formed. Set aside.
For the Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Mix all ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- For the Filling
- Rub chicken with BBQ rub.
- Smoke chicken thighs for two hours at 200 degrees over hickory and oak chips to add flavor.
- Pull the leg meat and add BBQ sauce to your desired moistness.
- To assemble tamale, in a corn husk, flatten masa and fill with the smoked chicken thigh. Fold the masa over the nest and steam in large pot for 45 minutes.
- Top with the Alabama white BBQ sauce and fried kale and chicken skins and serve.