5 pounds apples, Fuji, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Gala, and Honeycrisp––go ahead and experiment!
2 cups water
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups sugar
¾ teaspoon ground allspice
1 lemon, juiced and zested
Fuji, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Gala, and Honeycrisp––go ahead and experiment!
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Peel, core, and quarter apples.
- Place apples in large pot set over medium heat and add water. Cook for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until tender, approximately 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour apples into blender or food processor (or use immersion blender) and purée until smooth.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, allspice, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
- Pour apples into roasting pan.
- Place in oven and bake until thick, approximately 1 hour. Stir in salt to taste.
- Let apple butter cool to room temperature and then spoon into mason jars or other airtight containers. Will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe ByThe Local Palate Test Kitchen