1 cup milk, lukewarm
1 teaspoon plus ¼ cup sugar, divided
1 tablespoon yeast
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 cups flour
6 cups oil for frying beignets
Powdered sugar for dusting
- FOAM HOME / Combine the warm milk, 1 teaspoon of the sugar, and the yeast. Let the mixture rest for 5–10 minutes or until it gets foamy.
- MAKE SOME DOUGH / Add the eggs and melted butter to the yeast mixture. Mix the remaining sugar, salt, and flour and combine with the egg mixture. Stir until you get a dough. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight
- ROLL OUT / Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Roll each piece into a ¼-inch-thick rectangle.
- WHEELS DOWN / Using a pastry wheel, slice all the dough into 2–3-inch squares.
- FRY TIME / Pour the oil into a deep skillet or Dutch oven 2–3 inches deep and heat to 350 degrees. Fry the beignets until golden on one side, then flip them over to fry on the other side.
- DRAIN AND DUST / Drain beignets on paper towels, then dust them liberally with powdered sugar. Enjoy!