¾ cup sweet potato, baked and cooled
½ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups flour, preferably White Lily
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 ounces butter, chilled
2 tablespoons whole milk
GET YOUR MASH ON.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel baked sweet potatoes and place in medium bowl.
- Use a potato masher to mash (can also purée in blender or food processor).
- Add buttermilk and honey. Mix to incorporate.
COMBINE THE DRY.
- Scoop flour into dry measuring cup. Using the back of a knife, level off excess flour, then pour into a large bowl.
- Add baking powder and baking soda and whisk to combine.
HAVE A GRATE TIME.
- Using large box grater, grate butter, then add to flour mixture, using fingers to work butter into dry ingredients until incorporated. Some small clumps of butter will remain.
WET MEETS DRY.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients. Pour sweet potato mixture into well and mix until dough forms. More buttermilk can be added as needed.
MAKE THE ROUNDS.
- Place dough onto lightly floured surface and roll until ½-inch thick. Use 2½-inch round cutter to cut biscuits. Dust cutter with flour between biscuits.
BRUSH AND BAKE.
- Place cut dough rounds on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and brush tops with milk.
- Bake until biscuits begin to brown, about 15–20 minutes. Rotate halfway through.
Note: Add empty sheet pan to bottom rack if biscuit bottoms are browning too quickly.
Recipe ByThe Local Palate Test Kitchen