Turkey in Green Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper.
- In blender, combine kale, pumpkin seeds, green onions, jalapeños, cilantro, garlic, oregano, and water and blend to a smooth puree.
- In a pan just big enough for turkey legs, arrange them and cover with sauce.
- Cover pan tightly with foil or a lid and bake for 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Shred and reserve for tamales or tacos.
- Whip lard, baking powder, and salt on medium speed for 2 minutes or until very fluffy.
- Add masa dough in golf ball sized pieces, one at a time, until incorporated. Turn down to low and add stock slowly until incorporated.
- Refrigerate 1 hour in mixing bowl, then re-beat dough briefly before assembling.
- Lay collard green leaves on a work surface and scoop ½ cup of the masa dough onto each leaf, then add approximately 1/3 cup of shredded turkey.
- Arrange in vegetable steamer and steam for 1 hour 15 minutes over medium heat, then serve or refrigerate.
Dai Due tops their tamales with a variety of garnishes, from mole sauce to a poached egg. You can get creative as well, but these are good on their own, no garnish required.