1 (9-inch) piecrust
1¼ cups all-purpose flour, preferably soft-wheat
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold shortening, lard, or unsalted butter, divided
6-8 tablespoons ice-cold water, divided
1 large egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for the glaze
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in fat (shortening, lard, or butter) until it’s the size of peas covered in flour.
- Slowly add ice water as needed to combine the dough. If it gets too sticky, add more flour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to ½-inch thickness.
- Place dough into pie pan and trim off the excess dough around the edges.
- Prick the bottom of the dough lightly with a fork, cover with parchment paper, and fill the pan with pie beads.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, remove the beads and parchment paper.
- Recipe from Nathalie Dupree, author of Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking