makes two cocktails
- Combine vermouth, Benedictine, and bitters in a mixing glass.
- Stir and funnel into a TSA-approved plastic container.
- Place container and lemon strips in a quart-sized resealable plastic bag.
On the plane:
- Order a cognac and have your companion (or a complete stranger, if they are friendly) order a rye whiskey. You want ice, but you want to pour the booze yourself.
- Divide the mini-bottles between the two cups of ice and split the contents of your carry-on container.
- Stir with a drink stirrer (fingers work too).
- Squeeze lemon peel over the drinks, skin side facing down, and enjoy.
- Recipe by Jerry Slater, co-author of the Southern Foodways Alliance Guide to Cocktails