- Sauté the apples in butter for 3 minutes, and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Then whisk in the cream and vanilla.
- Pour over bread, chocolate chunks, and sautéed apples. Let soak.
- Fill greased ramekins or put into an 8-inch glass Pyrex dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees until custard is set.
Cinnamon Ice Cream
- Bring milk and sugar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together half the milk/sugar mixture into egg yolks gently. Do not scramble. Whisk often.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and add heavy cream. Cook gently over medium-low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain through a chinois or strainer. Add cinnamon and salt. Cool.
- Place in an ice cream maker and spin when ready.
Ginger Crème Anglaise
- Bring cream, milk, vanilla bean, and ginger to a boil.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together.
- Temper the egg mixture with the hot cream/milk mixture.
- Return to medium-low heat and continue stirring until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain immediately through fine chinois.
Serve warm over warm bread pudding.