The possibilities are many, but to Chef Pettry nothing beats a beet that has been roasted to tender and served with a squeeze of citrus, a glug of good olive oil, and a sprinkling of sea salt.
4 wild salmon fillets, skin on
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 golden beets, peeled and shaved, warm
¼ cup orange vinaigrette (recipe below)
2 tablespoons bull’s blood beet puree, warm (recipe below)
¼ cup prepared bulgur wheat, warm (recipe below)
1 cup roasted baby Chioggia beets
½ cup Marcona almonds
¼ cup chervil, chopped
½ cup orange juice
½ cup canola oil
1½ teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1½ teaspoons salt
chili flakes, to taste
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon minced shallot
2 pounds bull’s blood beets
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup heavy cream
2 cups water
2 cups fine bulgur wheat
2 tablespoons orange juice
½ teaspoon orange zest
Salt to taste
¼ cup orange vinaigrette
Bull’s Blood Beet Purée
Prepared Bulgur Wheat
- Season salmon on both sides with salt. Sear salmon, skin side down, in olive oil over medium-high heat and cook to medium rare.
- Dress the warm golden beets with orange vinaigrette and salt.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the warm bull’s blood beet puree on the center of the plate. Place ¼ cup bulgur wheat on top of the puree. Place salmon on top of bulgur wheat. Arrange roasted Chioggia beets and Marcona almonds on both sides of the salmon. Place dressed shaved beets on top of salmon, drizzle plate with orange vinaigrette, and top with chervil. Serve.
- Combine all ingredients in a jar or sealable container. Shake to emulsify.
- Check seasoning. Remove garlic clove before use.
Yield: 1¼ cups
Bull’s Blood Beet Purée
- Thinly slice beets. Spread in an even layer in a tall sauté pan.
- Add vinegar, enough water to cover beets, sugar, and salt.
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper and cook over medium heat until the beets are soft and the liquid has reduced to a glaze. If the liquid evaporates before the beets are cooked add a little more water and cook longer.
- Puree beets in a blender with the cream. Check seasoning.
Yield: 2 cups
- Bring water to a boil and pour over the bulgur wheat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients with the bulgur. Check seasoning.
Yield: 4 cups
- from Annie Pettry of Decca in Louisville, Kentucky