- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Split, and seed squash. Place flesh side down on a sheet pan, and roast for 45 minutes or until tender.
- While squash is roasting, dice onions and fennel.
- Place large sauté pan over medium heat, and sweat vegetables until translucent.
- Scoop flesh from roasted squash, and add to pan. Deglaze with wine, and add orange juice, stock or water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper to pan. Simmer soup for 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then puree until smooth in a blender. Once pureed adjust seasoning with salt, brown sugar, and sherry vinegar.
- For garnish, mix chorizo, oranges, and almonds in small bowl and season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle around edge of soup bowl.
Chef Note: This soup is gluten and dairy free. Soup can also easily be made vegetarian by omitting Chorizo garnish.