- Use a brined turkey for this method.
- Remove turkey from brine and dry. Place onion, orange, rosemary, and bay leaves in turkey. Break up garlic and add to turkey.
- Cover turkey with dry rub seasoning mix or season with salt and pepper. Place turkey on a roasting rack and put rack onto a disposable aluminum roasting pan.
- Preheat grill to 500 degrees. To get a smoky flavor, soak applewood chips in water and put in a grill smoker box and place on the grill. Turn off middle burner and place roasting pan on grill grate. Lower temperature of front and back burners to maintain a 350 degree grill. Try to open grill lid as little as possible in order to maintain grill temperature. Cover the breast and legs with aluminum foil if they begin to get too dark.
- Close lid and grill until the temperature between the leg and thigh reaches 175 degrees. Grilling a turkey requires approximately 12 minutes per pound.
- Remove turkey from the grill and let rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.
Foolproof Turkey Tips
- Use a brined turkey for a moist, flavorful bird.
- Do not stuff the turkey with the dressing. Bake the dressing separately.
- Use a fresh turkey if available.