- Place ice cream maker freezer bowl or canister in freezer.
- Place pumpkin pie slices in freezer until cold; do not freeze all the way.
- In a saucepot combine cream, sugar, and insides of vanilla bean. Heat on low to medium heat and stir until simmering.
- Place egg yolks in bowl and whisk in small portions of hot cream mixture to “temper” the yolks, being careful not to cook the eggs. Start with 1-2 tablespoons, and then add more, only using about half the cream. Then, pour the egg and cream mixture back into remaining cream and continue stirring until the mixture begins to firm. The anglaise should coat the spoon readily. Remove, strain through a fine sieve, and let cool.
- Once anglaise is fully cooled, dice the lightly frozen pumpkin pie into small pieces and return to freezer. Pour anglaise into a frozen ice cream bowl, attach to ice cream maker, and spin until cream is starting to pull away from the edges of the container.
- Drop in frozen pieces of pumpkin pie and finish spinning process. Remove, freeze, and serve when desired. An optional garnish of Maldon sea salt is always a good idea.
Notes from the chef: I prefer making an anglaise base for this recipe so that it is super rich. Also, please note that this recipe will require a home ice cream maker.