2 dozen hand pies
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1⅔ cups butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1 cup chilled buttermilk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, and butter together well.
- Transfer mixture to food processor, and pulse 3 to 4 times at about 4 seconds per pulse, until mixture is texture of coarse meal.
- Return mixture to bowl, add buttermilk and vinegar, and work liquids into crumbly mixture with hands. As dough begins to form, fold it over itself. This process will create layers, ensuring a flaky crust.
- Once dough has come together, transfer to floured surface and divide in half. Wrap each half tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- A collaboration from Chef Travis Milton of Richmond, Virginia and pastry Chef Lisa Donovan of Nashville, Tennessee